Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Well, Hell's Bells!

(My mom used to say that all the time, I never really thought about how that phrase would be punctuated until just now...)

It's official! I have my first big loser of a project! Stitch n Bitch Nation, the "Om Yoga Mat Bag". Loooooooooser!

I, however, will take at least partial responsibility because I did substitute the yarn from Lion Brand 100% cotton (of which I could find very little locally and in no color that would coordinate my mat or rug, which were both thoughtfully purchased to coordinate...because I'm like that.) for Lion Brand Cotton-Ease 50/50 Cotton/Acrylic.

And I also didn't check gauge, well...I did, but with the diagonal lace stitch I couldn't figure out what a "stitch" was or if I made gauge or not, and I figured it wouldn't matter since it was just a damn bag!

And also my measurements are off, but purposefully! I have an extra cushy mat and a rug, so added width! And because it's a diagonal stretch, added length to get the added width. It's all proportional! I think...

It's also not blocked yet, or really completely finished (still have to buy some string and figure out what in the hell you're supposed to do with the bottom of the bag...just seaming it closed would be too simple I guess. I also couldn't figure out how to do a mattress stitch, per se, on CO to BO edges. I think the pattern should have had you knit 2 rows beginning and end so there was a substantial strip of something other than diagonal lace to mattress stitch together. And also so I could just follow the directions on how to mattress stitch garter rows together, which is in every single book I have. No mention of how to mattress stitch CO and BO edges...maybe I'll google that today. And can I just say mattress stitch one more time? MATTRESS STITCH!

(I'll put a pic up as soon as I get my computer back...got a nasty little virus over the weekend that took down my firewall! I didn't know they could do that. Then my non-technical self tried to restore to an earlier date which f*ed everything up. The Geek Squad has it right now, and it's still under warranty. Which I could actually find for once, don't you just love that!)

No comments: